8th Grade Reading Assignment for The Pigman by Paul Zindel
Directions:
1. Books will handed out on May 11.
2. The chapters need to be read on the day listed.
3. All grades will be based on discussion. You will not have to put in Post-its or take notes.
4. Students will be expected to answer questions posted to my blog.
Reading Assignments
May 11
Chapter 1
May 13
Chapters 2-4
May 14
Chapters 5-6
May 15
Chapters 7-8
May 18
Chapters 9-12
May 19
Chapters 13-15
FYI Dates
Days without Independent Work Time
May 11-15, May 20-21
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

59 comments:
Respond before class on May 13.
What are your first impressions of John ad Lorraine? What gives you this impression? Which character do you like? dislike?
I think that Lorraine sees herself as not worthy of admiration. She always shows compassion to every living thindg. John just wants to make life interesting and he has a very vivid imagination. He is able to see Lorraine in a more positive way than she sees herself. I like both of the characters for different reasons. I like John liveliness and Lorraine's compassion.
*Luci*
I think that john and lorraine are both "social outcasts", or at least how they tell the story they are, and i think that they are fine being that way. They both seem interesting and i think i like them both equally.
-phoebe
My first impression of john and Lorraine is that they are kind of crazy.I think this because they laugh at random stuff. I like Lorraine more at times like when she acts more responsible and I like John more at times because he doesn't care what other people think or say about him.
My first impression of of Lorraine is that she is very sensitive because she cried after pigman died and continued to be upset long afterword. My first impression of John is that he is a very smart and mischievous person since he was able to blow up the urinals in the boys bathroom and not get caught. I like John better than Lorraine because he almost embodies me, smart cunning. I don't dislike Lorraine, I just like John better.
Lorraine - I think Lorraine thinks down on herself a lot. She seems to love others more then she loves herself.
John - John seems to like chaos. He sees Lorraine, I think, better then she sees herself.
I like both characters. I can see a little of myself in each of them.
-Gracie
John seems like the cooler guy that everyone likes where as lorraine seems like a nerd no one likes. John to me is a lot more exiting when he writes, when lorraine writes it seems a bit bland.
-Aidan
It seems like Lorraine is not very popular but she is more thoughtful and caring than John. John acts like he doesn't care about anything and I think we are going to find out why soon. I think he will be the risk taker of the story and that Lorraine will be more cautious. I think predict that their compassion for the Pigman is what connects them.
-Gabe
I think that Lorraine is pretty quiet but doesn't mind correcting people. John seemed like he was the one who always got into trouble. I liked John better than Lorraine because i think that his character was better devoloped than Lorraine.
well i think they are both funny and likable people... its seems like lorraine is a very nice person that u can count on to be there 4 u like u can lean on her and john is just silly i think they do have some quality people may not like but i like them...
nick duke
You know i really liked John he was so outrageous and i was so spacey bout school and he was so independent and out there him and Lorraine are a great team. She can make an impression on you that some what comes from her relationship with John.
I think that Lorraine and John both are the perfect companionship. Each complete something in the other. Right now, I like John's spunk. I also like Lorraine's compassion and kind heart.
-Lacy
Lorriane is a more settle or humble character. She has a self applied want to help every one in need. John is a rascal of a boy who will do anything to stir up his surroundings. I like John because he is a hilarious character(not the kind in a book, the kind pertaining to personality). I don't dislike any one.
Due May 14 before class. Be certain to include your name in the post or you will not receive credit.
Look back at your first impressions of John and Lorraine. How have they changed? Why? If your impression has not changed, tell me why not.
I am actually starting to see Lorraine as a bit more crazy, but also a downer. I think she would have more confidence if her mother was nicer to her. I'm starting to see that John has issues just like everyone else. What both these characters have in common is their parents. It seems like both sets of parents are really hard on their children.
*Luci*
I am begining to think that John sort cares what other people think about him and that Lorriane would think she had a higher stautus if her mother didn't put her down alll the time. I have also noticed that both Lorraine and John's parents are hard on them.
~Lyric~
My impressions of John and Lorraine have slightly changed. I still think that John is a devious and mischievous, but he is also hysterical. As for Lorraine, I don't think she is as sensitive as I thought since she was the one to pick out the Pigman's number and start the chain reaction.
- Levi
My impression really hasn't changed. John is a more enthusiastic individual, where as Lorraine is very low in confidence and follows his lead.
-Aidan
I still think that john and lorraine are happy being outcasts but they seem surprised that theres suddenly this new person that they're completely tied to and cant leave alone. I also saw john change and open up a lot more once they visited the mr. pignati.
-phoebe
John is a lot more minipulative than I previously thought. I thought that him taking advantage of Mr. Pignati was cruel. Lorraine seems like more of a pushover and eventually does whatever John tells her.
-Gabe
P.S. Punker2 was the name of the blogger account I made in 4th or
5th grade so thats why it my comments are under that name
My opinions on John have not changed. I still enjoy his spunk and he adds livliness to the book. Lorraine has showed me her wilder side but I can still see that she is timid.
-Lacy
I think that Lorraine is pretty quiet but doesn't mind correcting people. John seemed like he was the one who always got into trouble. I liked John better than Lorraine because i think that his character was better devoloped than Lorraine
My impressions have changed about lorraine but not really about john. I thought of lorraine as pretty quiet but in the past few chapters she hasn't talked (not a very good word)the same or seemed (also not a very good word) the same. She seems to be a bit more out going that in the first few chapters.
-Hannah
i still like john but the way that he sometimes can be pertrayed by the auther can give u a view of a boy who needs to do wat he does to spice up his life which is where him and lorraine become two sides of the same coin. i still think that the immpresstion you get from lorrine froms from her relationship with john but that's only half of what u see of lorraine there's a whole other side that has not yet been descovered. but it still comes out piece by piece and the first piece started with her and her mom ;)
Due before class on May 15
Mr. Pignati lied about his wife. What are some of the lies that John and Lorraine are telling themselves? Why are they telling these lies?
Be sure to check spelling and include your name in your posting.
One of the biggest lies John and Lorraine are telling him is that they are from charity and slowly taking his money, and it seems like its just for profit. Though I think that John and Lorraine are felling some remorse, they are also hurt by the fact that Mr. Pignati is a liar since he lied about his wife's death, saying she was on vacation.
Well first of all they lied about thier names and they did that cause they didn't want strangers to know there real names.They are also telling these lies cause they don't to be directly attacted to the people they call.
~lyric~
I think John and Lorriane are taking advantage of Mr. Pignati and they keep making up excuses to themselves to keep taking money from him. I think that Mr. Pignati is being so generous because he desperately needs a friend so its hard for them to resist his money because even though its wrong.
-Gabe
The biggest line, i think, John and Lorriane are telling is that they are collecting the money for charity. They are also lying about their names.
-gracie
They are lying about there real names at first to do the calls and meeting mr.pignati.John always lies about doing stuff like glueing the phone lock.-Rachel
I see both as the exact same as before.
Wesley
I think that Both, Lorraine and John are lying to mr. Pignati about themselves basically. They told him they were a part of a foundation which is a lie.
Respond before class on May 18.
Read back through the comments your classmates have posted. Respond directly to one of their comments.
Disrespectful comments will not be posted nor given credit.
Be certain to include your name and proofread your comment before posting.
To respond to Gabe:
Do you really think they are making up excuses because they want his money, or because they like to be with him? I see it as them not wanting to depend on an old man.
*Luci*
I agree with Gabes comment about John being more manipulative than previously thought. The author didn't introduce him as a manipulative character which made it a surprise when did he did become manipulative. Lorraine does seem like a follower,maybe not like following the status quo, but by doing what John does, and listening to whatever he wants her to do. In the long run I think that physical trait will really hurt her in the story.
-Levi
nick,
I agree and disagree with you because I think that John is not just a person that makes jokes and that he is really in to this relastionahip they have with Mr.Pignati.
~LYRIC~
This is responding to Gabe's response. Do you still believed that Lorraine and John are taking advantage of mr. Pignati? Because I actually think they genuinely want to be his friend.
-Lacy
Yes I think they are to a certain degree. I agree that they are genuinely his friend but I think that they are still being immature with his generosity like with the party that they held at his house I think that was taking advantage of him.
-Gabe
Lyric -
How much do you think that Lorraines self-confidence would improve if her mother was easier on her?
-Gracie
I think that John is lying to himself about why he is friends with Mr. Pignati and Lorraine is lying to Mr. Pignati about why they are both friends with him.
_Phoebe
Phoebe to Lyric
I think that John and Lorraine had other reasons that they didn't want Mr. Pignati to know their names. One of those being That they didn't want to get connected with Mr. Pignati which wound up happening anyways.
Respond before class on May 19.
Reread the last page. Why do you think that the author ends the book the way he does?
Please include your name in your response and be sure to check your spelling.
I think the author ended the book the way he did to show that you can't run away from your problems nor can you blame other people for your mistakes. You have to take responsibility for what you do, no matter what the cost may be.
I think they are both realizing something they needed to learn about themselves, not even by experiencing Mr. Pignati but by writing the "book". They needed to have someone love them and care about them in a different way than their parents. I also think that both John and Lorraine grew up by the end.
-phoebe
I think the author ends the book the way he does because Mr.Pignati said his only friend was a Baboon and John and Lorraine believe that everyone is sort of like Baboon in there own way.
~lyric~
i think that the author ends the book as he does in an attempt to summerize the main ideas in the book
~hannah ^_^
p.s. very good book ted!
I think that the author decided to end the book with a lesson. For most of the book, John and Lorraine introduced a reason or a person to blame for their unhappiness.I believe that Lorraine and John realized once the Pigman died that they couldn't blame anyone for their unhappiness, each one played a role and each one suffered a consequence.
-Lacy
I think the author chose to end the book that way he did because it shows the way the Pigman impacted John and Lorraines lives. I think it also shows how much the two kids cared for the Pigman.
I'm not sure exactly what the ending means, I have a hunch that its an analogy for "People live the life that they make" but its hard to relate that back to the story because there are a lot of things it could be referring to.
-Gabe
I think that he ends the book this way because it shows how they have changed and they realize that they really just need each other i think.
-Rachel
I agree with Gracie. The characters did mention that the Pigman was a very important figure in their lives and the book ended by trying to show that.
You can't run away from what you have done. You always have to take responsibility for what you have done, whether good or bad. Though I do Think in the end they realized they weren't guilty.
-Aidan
Response for May 15th.
The lie that they told that seems like they are starting to feel bad about was... the names John and Lorraine gave the Pig man or The reason they were calling it just seems like this whole relationship between Lorraine,John and the Pig Man. But i still can get over that he lied about his wife.
Response for May 18th.
You know Gabe i agree that the kids are take advantage of Mr.Pignati. But i believe that as time went on they felt bad about taking advantage of him but they were so ashamed too tell him and there is a growing relationship that all three of them can benefit from.
Response for May 19th
Well me personal i really think that the book was really inconclusive like the ending of it what was up with that it just stopped. as i was reading that I'm like is there more it can't just end. But as i think more and more bout i guess you would kind of expect that kind of ending. The last page is what really gets me. My personal opinion the ending lets you know that there was more coming out of this then what you just read, you kind of need to read between the lines to see the whole thing not just a piece
- Jordan
I think the theme of this book is coping, throughout the book the characters have to cope with many different situations, whether they are not to severe or if they are severe. I can relate this book to another book, Freak The Mighty. Mostly because the main character has to cope with many situations involving his new friend, who is different.
I think the theme of the book is that maybe you don't always get what you want.Also things don't always go as planned. -Rachel
I think the theme of this book is growing up. Facing the harsh reality of life. I think that this connects a lot to Robert Cormeirs book "The Chocolate War". They both hace similar themes, losing innocence and growing up.
-Gabe
I think the theme of this book is the power of friendship. The author really conveys how important the kids are to the Pigman and vice versa. In this I think he is showing how 1 person can make a big impact on your life. The Pigman really changed Lorraine and John.
*Luci*
I think that the theme is growing up and maturing. My connection is to the book, Interview With A Vampire, the main character Louis is unsure if there is any other way to live except in his small bubble and I think that Lorraine and John are also striving to live differently.
-phoebe
I think the theme is to grow up and understand and take responsibility for your actions. I can connect this to Candy a little because in that book he has to learn to take responsibility for all the things he did to help candy.
I think that there are many different themes in the Pigman. The one that sticks out to me is change/growing up/realization. I can connect this to any of our lives because we will all eventually figure out that we are the ones who can control our life.
-Lacy
Post a Comment